The basic aim of research and development works carried out in ITB, from the very beginnings (1945), was to ensure the quality of the Polish building industry and to protect the interests of users of the construction works.
Scientific studies and development efforts carried on by the Institute in the field of construction embrace a wide scope of subjects related to fundamental requirements of building law that should be met by building facilities. They include safety of structures, fire safety in the buildings, safety in use, rationalization of energy use in buildings, protection against noise and vibrations, hygiene, protection of health and environment, durability of civil engineering works, maintenance and modernization of construction works, sustainable development in the building area.
As a result of carried out works, Institute develops:
- the bases of technical and functional requirements for buildings and building products,
- methods for calculation and designing of building elements,
- test methods and assessment criteria for construction works, their elements and building products,
- technical bases for the building policy of the State.
Within the Building Research Institute operates the Group of Testing Laboratories, including 9 laboratories accredited by PCA, which conduct the tests of construction materials and products as well as assessments of environmental pollution. For the needs of Polish Technical Approvals and European Technical Assessments (ETA) and certification of products, laboratories carry out tests, which are the basis for marking products with B or CE mark.
On the basis of the Building Law, the Building Research Institute is authorized to grant technical approvals (AT ITB) for:
- the majority of construction products,
- products in the field of electrical and sanitary engineering.
According to decision No 1/JOT/WB/13 of 27th September 2013 of the Ministry of Transportation, Construction and Maritime Industry, the Building Research Institute has been appointed as a Technical Assessment Body (TAB) authorized to issue European Technical Assessments (from the 1st July 2013, according to European Parliament and EU Council Regulation No 305/2011 European Technical Assessments are issued instead of European Technical Approvals).
European Technical Assessments are issued for construction products that are not covered or not fully covered by European harmonized standards.
Moreover, the Building Research Institute is accredited by Polish Centre of Accreditation (PCA) as:
- product certification body (accreditation no. AC 020),
- management system certification body (accreditation no. AC 072).
Institute conducts the certification of:
- construction products and factory production control
obligatory, where the conformity assessment is made with the requirements of:
- harmonized standards or European Technical Assessments (ETAs) - authorizing the manufacturer to issue a declaration of performance and mark the construction products with the CE mark,
- Polish standards or Polish Technical Approvals - authorizing the manufacturer to issue a declaration of conformity and mark the construction products with the construction mark B,
voluntary, where the conformity assessment is made with the requirements of standards, technical approvals or ITB technical criteria, allowing for marking of products with the following marks: ecological EKO-ITB, thermal mark CQ-ITB and C+Q-ITB, burglary resistance mark WQ-ITB, acoustic mark AQ-ITB, quality mark Q-ITB.
- voluntary factory production control of concrete with the quality assessment - based on the requirements of PN-EN 206-1
- management systems
- quality management in accordance with PN-EN ISO 9001,
- environmental management in accordance with PN-EN ISO 14001,
- occupational health and safety management in accordance with PN-N-18001,
- integrated management systems,
- personnel competency
The ITB widely disseminates the results of research work carried out and provides the participants in the building process with full information on the construction. Every year the ITB organizes many conferences, seminars and trainings for: scientific community, architects, designers, contractors, users, experts, producers, building inspectors, etc.
Institute actively participates in building research activity on the international forum, among others by contributions to the work of many technical committees, commissions and working groups within international scientific (RILEM, CICIND, EGOLF, ENBRI, ECO Platform, ICPIC) and standardization (ISO, CEN) organizations, as well as those for the assessment of building materials (UEAtc, EOTA, WFTAO). Since 1967, the Scientific Council of the Institute is authorized to confer doctoral degrees in technical sciences in the field of building engineering.
Many years of experience, qualified personnel with high scientific and professional positions in Poland and abroad, and a strong, modern research base, rights and accreditations attained guarantee the high quality of the work conducted and ensure the position of ITB as an experienced and credible partner for the building industry, well prepared for the competition on the European building research market.
We make this web site available to you, designed to provide all economic entities operating in the building area and individual users of building works with comprehensive and quick information on research results and actions undertaken by the Institute in behalf of the Polish building industry.
Warsaw, 2 January 2015
Dr. Eng. Marcin M. Kruk